Start/Stop Services

Setting Up Utility Services

  • Each renter/owner is responsible for connecting and terminating their own utility service.
  • Each renter/owner is responsible for usage from the time of connection until the time of termination.
  • West University Place does not transfer utility services.
  • Services billed are usually for: water, sewer, and solid waste.

Certificate of Occupancy

Active water service in a newly built home owner's name will not be activated until a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is issued by the Public Works Department. Until that time, owners are not to move into the premises. It is a Class C Misdemeanor to occupy a building without a certificate of occupancy. Each day of occupancy is a separate offense.

Starting New Service

  • Residents/Renters: In order to establish water, sewer and solid waste service, the applicant should complete a Residential Utility Connection Form (PDF), provide proper identification (driver's license, ID, or passport), and the first page of the sales contract or rental agreement. Applications may be submitted to the Utility Department located at 3800 University Boulevard. Customers wishing to terminate their water service will need to complete and sign a request for termination of service form and return it to the Utility Billing Office.
  • Commercial/Builders: In order to establish water service, the applicant should complete a Company Utility Connection Form (PDF), and provide their Tax ID Number. Applications may be submitted to the Utility Department located at 3800 University Boulevard Commercial/Builder accounts must submit a $500 deposit per property in person at the time of new service application.

Stopping Services

In order to stop services, it is the responsibility of the account holder (the person whose name is on the account) to complete and return the Utility Termination Form (PDF) to the Utility Department.

If a deposit was required at the time of connection, it will be applied to the final bill, with any remaining funds refunded.

Where to Submit Documents

Options to submit documents to start or stop services:

Connection Times & Deadlines

West University Place does not start or stop services on:

  • Holidays
  • Same business day as the application is made
  • Weekends

To start or stop services, all documentation must be received in the Finance Office no later than 4:00 p.m. the business day before the requested action.

Service Timeline Example

  • John Q. Public visits our office on Tuesday, June 18, and wants new service that day. The earliest possible service date is Wednesday, June 19 if all documentation is received by 4:00 p.m. June 18.
  • However, Mr. Public does not send his documentation until 8:00 p.m. June 18 (after business hours); his earliest possible service date then becomes Thursday, June 20, the next business day after he has provided the required documentation.