Pay Your Utility Bill Online Through Citizen Access
What is Citizen Access?
Citizen Access is the city’s online billing website that allows residents/customers the option to pay their utility bill online. They can either make a one-time payment or set themselves up on a recurring basis. Residents may also utilize this site to view a history of their statements. Currently there is no charge to use this service.
How do I set up this service?
Citizen Access may be accessed through the website Online Billing tab or by clicking here. Residents will be required to create an account to use this service and will be responsible for maintaining their credit card or Echeck information.
What do I need to set up this service?
All users must have a valid email address and their utility customer number.
- To use the credit card payment option, the user must have a MasterCard, Visa or Discover credit card. The City does not accept American Express.
- To use the Echeck option, the user must have a bank routing number and a banking account number. NOTE: this option is for one-time payments only, currently you cannot pay with Echeck for recurring payments.
- To use the view option, simply set up an account.
- If you would like paperless statements please click here for instructions.
Instructions for setting up a Citizen Access account
Please follow the instructions below.
- New User: click the New user tab, enter a valid email address, create a password, enter a first and last name on the account. You will receive an email with a link for verification of the email address. If you do not verify the email address, you cannot access the site.
- Attaching a customer/account number: new users will be asked to attach their customer/account number. Click BillPay, click manage accounts, click add accounts, enter your customer number, that number is located on your monthly statement. If you do not have the number, please call the Finance Office at 713.662.5824 or 5826 for help.
Options for using your Citizen Access account?
Once your Citizen Access account is created, users have the options to view statements, make a one-time credit card or Echeck payment or set up recurring payments.
- Viewing only with no payments: click BillPay, then statements. You may also view your payment history.
- One-time payment with credit cards or Echeck : click BillPay tab, pay bills, and follow the 3 step process. You will determine the amount and date for payment.
- Recurring payments: click BillPay tab, click saved payment info tab, click setup new source. Create a nickname for your payment source and then complete the red * fields. When done, you will get a successfully completed prompt and be returned to the BillPay tab. Select pay bills, recurring payments and create your new payment. You will be prompted to verify the account number, enter the payment source (payment profile name) and a percentage or full payment choice. Select full payment and complete the setup. You will get a successfully completed prompt. The credit card will be charged on the monthly due date which is generally between the 13th-16th of the month. Your bill will say "Do not pay."
The user is responsible for maintenance of their account. Finance employees cannot view or change your credit card information.
- Make note of your password, Finance employees can reset a lost password, but they cannot tell you what your current password is.
- Make note of the expiration number on the credit card. If it expires, you will receive an NSF charge of $35 and face late fees. You will need to delete old payment profile and old recurring payment and enter new payment profile and new recurring payment when your card is renewed.
- Make note of the card used on the account. Finance staff can only tell you the type card used, not the card number.
- If you want to change cards, simply delete the previous payment profile by clicking on the red half circle next to that payment source, this will delete you from recurring payment. Enter new payment profile and then enter new recurring payment.
- If you have any questions, contact 713.662.5826. The Sr. Customer Service Representative will be glad to walk you through the process.