- Public Works
- Block Party & Street Event Process
Street Event/Closure/Block Party Process
You may apply for a street event permit by completing and submitting a written application (PDF) to the Public Works Department at least 2 weeks prior to your proposed event date. Your application will be reviewed (with safety being of primary concern), after which you will be contacted back via email with a decision.
Block Party Safety Recommendations
Rules & Regulations
Street events are regulated by the Code of Ordinances, Article IV, Sections 46-114, 46-115, 46-116. Conditions include but are not limited to the following:
- The number of permits issued for a given weekend may be limited for safety purposes; applications will be considered in the order received.
- For safety reasons, road closures must generally involve traffic closure of full block(s) (no partial block segments closures are allowed).
- Block parties are allowed for Saturday, Sunday, official holidays or Halloween from 8:00 a.m. to sunset (7:00 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. during Daylight Savings Time), and are generally limited to three hours, including set up and take down time. Further restrictions may apply depending on street classification, etc.
- Registrant is required to issue event notification to all residents in the block(s) of the party (both sides of the street) at least 72 hours prior to the event, or as additionally specified on the permit.
- Barricades will be delivered by city staff to registrant address on the business day before the event and collected the business day after the event. The registrant is to position the barricades at the start of the event and remove promptly at the specified event end-time.
- Written evidence of applicable liability insurance coverage is required if any non-pet animals, commercial vehicles, or equipment will be brought onsite.
- A fee may be required in certain instances.
- You may request that a Police Department representative and/or a West U Firefighter stop by to visit during your event. Our emergency personnel enjoy providing this service and make every attempt to attend when requested, however, we can’t make a guarantee (due to the emergency nature of their work).