Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

The city of West University Place does NOT operate a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility, but residents can choose 1 of 2 options to dispose of HHW. 

Harris County Hazardous Waste Facility

The Harris County Hazardous Waste Facility, located at 6900 Hahl Road, is operated by Harris County and is open to West U residents free of charge.

Household Hazardous Waste Voucher Program

The City of West University Place has negotiated with the City of Houston to allow West U residents to dispose of their items at Houston's facilities.

What is Considered Hazardous Waste?

  • Acid, antifreeze, rechargeable batteries, aerosol cans
  • Chemicals: Crafts and Hobbies, Pool, Photography, Household
  • Degreasers, drain cleaners
  • Electronics: computer parts, monitor, printer, cell phones, TV, microwave (limit 2)
  • Fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, pest strips
  • Fluorescent/CFL lights (20 count limit/voucher)
  • Fuel (gasoline), kerosene, and cooking oil
  • Motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid, car wax, tires (limit of 2)
  • Paint, spray paint, paint thinner, metal polish
  • Power steering fluid, transmission fluid
  • Propane 5-pound cylinders; helium tanks
  • Solvents, turpentine, varnish, stains
  • Styrofoam blocks

More Information

What to do with it? - Where to Dispose of/Recycle Common Household Items

Contact Public Works Customer Service by phone at 713-662-5839 or by email at with any questions.