Buffalo Speedway Project
To receive project updates by email or text message, click here. Sign up, then scroll down and select Buffalo Speedway Project Updates under "News Flash.
Through a federal grant, the City of West University Place was awarded funding to replace the existing road surface of Buffalo Speedway. The project area will consist of the section of road that traverses the City beginning at the 5300 block (south of Bissonnet) and ending at the 6700 block (north of W. Holcombe/Bellaire). As part of this project, the City will also make improvements to the drainage system. The road construction portion of the project will be administered by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) with City oversight. There will be a series of meetings scheduled with both the general public and affected homeowners on Buffalo Speedway. See the project timeline for more information.
This aerial map shows an overview of project area with project route in green with major points marked in green with balloon pointer. 1 Buffalo Speedway at Bissonnet Street – North end of project, 2 Buffalo Speedway at Holcombe/Bellaire Blvd. – West U City Limits South end, 3 West U Drainage Outfall – South end of project
Scope of Work
- The project will consist of:
- A complete road surface replacement in approximately the existing foot print
- Storm sewer system enhancements
- Visual enhancements at the both entrances and at major intersections.
- Road surface reconstruction
- 80 % Federal Grant (up to $9,250,000)
- 20% City of West University Place
- Drainage Improvements
- 100% Funded by City of West University Place
- Applications have been submitted seeking Federal Funding Assistance with the drainage project portion.
- 9-10-2018 - Engineering Contract Awarded
- 9-27-2018 - Design Kick-Off Meeting with TXDOT
- 10-25-2018 - Begin Field Survey and Mapping work all along route 6 to 8 weeks
- 11-1-2018 - Begin Geotechnical Study (boring for Soil Samples) 4 weeks
- March 2019 - First meeting with adjacent property owners – 30% design completion
- July 2019 - Second meeting – Advertised Public Meeting – 60% design completion
- October 2019 - Third meeting with adjacent property owners – 90% design completion
- February 2020 - Final design submittal to TXDOT and City
- July 2020 - TXDOT Advertises Bid For Contractors
- September 2020 - TXDOT Awards Contract
- October 2020 - Contract Execution Completed
- October 2020 - Construction Activities Begin
*dates subject to change
- City of West University Place - Public Works Department
- Freese Nichols Engineering
- Ron Bavarian P.E. Project Manager
- Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT)
- Mohammed Zubair P.E. Project Manager