State of Texas & Harris County Update – Governor’s Executive Order GA-23 and Harris County Extension of Stay Home Order
In an effort to keep this update short, information regarding the limited reopening of West U facilities and services will be released on Friday May 22, 2020.
STATE OF TEXAS – Phase II:
Governor Abbott issued Executive Order GA-23 which expands the ability for businesses to reopen and operated. The following are the highlights of the order as they pertain to West U, click here to read the entire order.
Starting Friday May 22, 2020:
- Dine-in services for restaurants may operate up to 50% of their occupancy, with exceptions listed in the full order.
- Bars and similar establishments (with restrictions listed in the full order) may operate up to 25% of occupancy.
- Amateur sporting events (i) at which there is no access to the general public allowed; and (ii) for which all participants have tested negative for COVID-19 prior to the event, are quarantined for the duration of the event, are temperature-checked and monitored for symptoms daily, and are tested again for COVID-19 at the end of the event.
Starting Sunday May 31, 2020:
- Professional basketball, baseball, softball, golf, tennis, football, and car racing events, with no spectators physically present on the premises of the venue, as approved on a league-by-league basis by DSHS.
- Youth camps, including but not limited to those defined as such under Chapter 141 of the Texas Health and Safety Code, and including all summer camps and other daytime and overnight camps for youths.
- Youth sports programs; provided, however, that practices may begin, but games and similar competitions may not begin until June 15, 2020.
Except as specifically allowed above, people shall avoid visiting interactive amusement venues such as video arcades, amusement parks, or water parks (for West U – Colonial Park Pool).
ON May 20, 2020, County Judge Hidalgo extended the existing Stay Home – Work Safe order to June 10, 2020. Click here to read the entire order,
Please note – while parks are open, park benches, communal playgrounds, and playground equipment may increase the spread of COVID-19 and, therefore, shall remain closed.
CURRENT CLOSURES AND SERVICES:
For the latest information regarding the impact of COVID-19 on our City, or related changes to West U services, please visit: www.westutx.gov/covid19
To receive email updates from West U on COVID-19, please visit www.westutx.gov/list.aspx and, under “News Flash,” select “Coronavirus/COVID-19 Updates” to subscribe. If you know someone who is not receiving these updates, please encourage them to sign up.
For the latest information on COVID-19 from the county, state, and federal levels, please visit: