The Parks and Recreation Department’s primary concern is the health and safety of our members, program participants, staff, and their families. As a precaution amid growing concerns about COVID-19, all children’s classes, spring break camps, and senior services classes/activities have been cancelled or suspended through Monday, March 30. Cancellations for classes, programs, events, and activities may be added and/or extend past this date. For a list of all canceled activities go to the main Parks and Recreation page.
West U Recreation Center
As of March 13, 2020, the pool and cardio/weight room are open during regular hours. We recommend that you check this webpage for updates before each visit.
CDC Statement on COVID-19 and Treated Pool Water - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/water.html
Here are some of the precautions being taken in Parks and Recreation facilities:
- We are closely monitoring information and guidance from public health officials.
- Although staff, members, and participants are asked to stay home when ill, we rely on each individual to self-assess their symptoms and illness.
- Staff members are frequently cleaning and disinfecting high use areas - restrooms, locker rooms, exercise equipment, door handles, and railings throughout the day.
- Supplies are available for members to wipe down and disinfect equipment before and after each use; reminders have been posted on the fitness room doors.
- Hand sanitation stations have been installed in the facilities.
- CDC signage has been posted encouraging frequent hand washing/sanitizing and to stay home and increased awareness signage and messaging.
If you are a in a high-risk category and/or have underlying health issues, please take an abundance of caution. Staff will continue to monitor the situation; however, please be mindful of heightened hygiene protocol, such as handwashing, cleaning of shared equipment, etc. as advised by health officials. Please see current information from the Texas Department of State Health Services https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or CDC www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html and Harris County Public Health http://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/resources/2019-novel-coronavirus.
Please visit the Parks and Recreation webpage for a list of cancellations and the latest information.