News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/12/2018 3:53:08 PM to 9/29/2018 12:00:12 AM.

News Flash

Community News

Posted on: September 12, 2018

[ARCHIVED] West U to Host Informational Meeting on Home Elevation Grant Program

September 12, 2018


Patti Jett

Communications Director 

(713) 662-5384 office 

(832) 359-2302 cell                                        


West U to Host Informational Meeting on Home Elevation Grant Program

The City of West University Place is collecting preliminary information from residents who may qualify for a home elevation grant.  An informational public meeting on the Home Elevation Grant Program(s) will be held September 27, 2018 in the West University Place Council Chambers, 3800 University Blvd., at 6:30 pm.  Home elevation means that your existing house would be lifted so that the lowest floor is at least two feet (2') above the base flood elevation and a new foundation would be built to support your home.

The grant, which is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), would cover 75% of eligible project costs and the homeowner would be responsible for the other 25% of the cost. 

“Please keep in mind there are no guarantees that the City will receive any funds for this program,” said Fire Chief Aaron Taylor. “However, City officials are determined to ensure that they seek all opportunities available to help our residents.”

In order to be eligible for a grant, homeowners must obtain flood insurance from FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program, the flood insurance must remain effective as long as the home remains in use, regardless of ownership changes and the cost to raise the home must be less than the estimated amount of future flood claim payments.

For property to be considered in the City’s grant application(s), the City must obtain information about the property and its loss history by the end of September.  Please see the link below to begin the initial information survey: West U - Home Elevation Interest Form.


The Hazard Mitigation Assistance Grant Programs (FEMA)

Fact  Sheet: Elevating Your Flood Damaged Home to Avoid Future Damage (FEMA)

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Community News

Citizen Satisfaction Survey

Citizen Satisfaction Survey Results

Posted on: January 26, 2023
Food Waste Diversion

Food Waste Diversion

Posted on: March 3, 2023
Edloe Pathway News Flash

Edloe Street Pathway Improvements

Posted on: February 9, 2023

City Currents Newsletter

Posted on: March 2, 2023
Foundation for the Future

Foundation for the Future

Posted on: September 29, 2022