The City of West University Place is expected to be impacted by the cold front passing through Texas. Temperatures Thursday night will dip into the low to mid 20s for most of the area with near freezing temperatures reaching all the way to the barrier islands. Hard Freeze Warnings are likely for the majority of the area. Winds will be gusting to 25mph Thursday evening through Friday morning leading to wind chill values down into the single digits north of Brenham with teens everywhere else. Conditions will be similar Friday night, though wind chill values may be around five degrees warmer as the winds weaken. While cold, this is not comparable to the Winter event last February in either strength or duration.
The City encourages residents to take the following safety precautions:
- A simple precaution can prevent costly repairs and wasting of water! Residents should turn off their irrigation systems at the backflow preventer and make sure any exposed pipes are insulated. Also, don’t forget to turn off your sprinkler system at the control panel. Please remember that the irrigation system is the responsibility of the property owner and the City cannot work on this system. Damage sustained to an irrigation system will need to be serviced by your irrigation service provider.
- Protect the 4 P’s: People, Pets, Plants, and Pipes.
- If using a fire place, ensure the flue is open and venting properly.
- Ensure your Carbon Monoxide Detector is working.
- Never leave a space heater unattended.