FEMA Home Elevation Grants

4008_01-mitigation-funding-inthe-fema-public-assistance-programThe City of West University Place is collecting preliminary information from residents who may qualify for a home elevation grant.  An informational public meeting on the Home Elevation Grant Program(s) will be held September 27, 2018 in the West University Place Council Chambers, 3800 University Blvd., at 6:30 pm.  Home elevation means that your existing house would be lifted so that the lowest floor is at least two feet (2') above the base flood elevation and a new foundation would be built to support your home.

The grant, which is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), would cover 75% of eligible project costs and the homeowner would be responsible for the other 25% of the cost. Please keep in mind there is no guarantee that the City will receive any funds for this program; however, City Officials are determined to ensure that they seek all opportunities available.

In order to be eligible for a grant, homeowners must obtain flood insurance from FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program, the flood insurance must remain effective as long as the home remains in use, regardless of ownership changes and the cost to raise your home must be less than the estimated amount of future flood claim payments.

For property to be considered in the City’s grant application(s), the City must obtain information about the property and its loss history by the end of September.  For property to be considered in the City’s grant application(s), the City must obtain information about the property and its loss history by the end of September.  Please see the link below to begin the initial information survey: West U - Home Elevation Interest Form 

To assist you in navigating this process, we’ve included more information below.

Fact Sheet: Elevating Your Flood Damaged Home to Avoid Future Damage (pdf)
FEMA Home Elevating Grants