Found Pets

Cartoon Pets

About the Found Pets Service

The City of West University Place provides information on pets that are picked up by Animal Control, picked up by other residents, and reported lost by their owners. Residents are encouraged to report both lost and found pets by completing the following form.

City of West University Place Lost and Found Pets Form

About Animals Picked Up by Animal Control

The City of West University Place operates a "no-kill" shelter. Domestic stray animals are transferred, after a three-day reclamation period, to a local veterinarian. Stray dogs are picked up and taken to the city kennel located at 2801 North Braeswood Boulevard, Houston, TX 77025 where they can await reclamation. The reclamation fee for unregistered dogs is $100, and the reclamation fee for dogs registered with the city is $50 for the first pick-up. These fees do not include any possible municipal fines that may be assessed for the dog being "at-large," unregistered, not wearing their rabies tag, not wearing a city tag, etc.

The city kennel is inspected twice a year: once by the Texas Department of Health, and once by an independent veterinarian using a Texas Department of Health supplied checklist. There is no requirement for cats kept either leashed or restrained. They are not picked up by animal control. Wildlife, if caught, must be transported to a wildlife rehabilitator under strict state guidelines. Animal Control does not transport these animals.

For more information, contact Animal Control at 713.662.5831 or 713.662.5830.