Wier Park Improvements
The Parks and Recreation Board and staff have been working in conjunction with Burditt Landscape Architects and a citizen user group on improvement recommendations. Overall, no major changes are recommended for the park layout and programming. With the extension of the artificial turf in the play areas and the new artificial turf in the fitness area, the park will gain approximately 6,500 square feet of usable space. The Parks and Recreation Board met on June 14, 2023, and recommended the concept shown below for City Council’s approval. On Monday, July 10, City Council approved the concept design.
The main items include:
- repainting the current play structures
- replacing the artificial safety turf
- refreshing the picnic tables and benches
- removing the decomposed granite and adding connective pathways and shade structures
- expanding play areas with new features such as a play mound and signature swing
- installing a new gate entry off Nottingham Street and pavers
- adding a gathering area conducive for small parties and picnics
- resurface and restripe tennis and basketball courts
- additional seating
- removing the parking space on Nottingham Street to increase open green space, which is an initiative identified in the Parks and Open Space Master Plan
Improvements for the space west of the basketball court include adding chin-up bars and a cornhole game, space permitting. It has also been recommended to level out the court areas. Lastly, solar and lighting enhancements will be considered.
The addition of a restroom was considered by the Parks and Recreation Board and staff, but was not recommended for Wier Park, which is intended for users within close walking distance of the park and is consistent with National Parks and Recreation Association’s recommendations for the programming and size of the park.
The Parks and Recreation Board and staff have been working in conjunction with Burditt Landscape Architects and a citizen user group on improvement recommendations. Parks and Recreation Board Chair Will Bertron and Parks and Recreation Director Susan White met with the Friends of West U Parks Fund members on July 12 to review the concept in preparation for an official funding request at their September 2023 meeting.
On September 13, 2023, Friends voted to fund up to $75,000 towards Wier Park landscape architect services for the Wier Park improvement project. The contract funding approval request and contract with Burditt for the Construction Documents, Bid Services, and Project Oversight will be presented to Council on September 25. Special thanks to the Friends of West U Parks Board for their generous support!
What to expect:
- Construction is estimated to cost between $865,000 - $1 million.
- A tentative project start date could be in January.
- Construction would take three months minimum from start to finish.
Staff has recommended construction be completed continuously in lieu of phasing to limit interruptions to park users.
The Friends of West University Parks Fund, (Friends) is a volunteer based 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to raising funds for development and improvement of parks and green spaces in the City of West University Place. Visit www.westuparks.org for more information on Friends and all of the wonderful initiatives they have for West U’s parks.
For more information about this project please contact Susan White, Parks and Recreation Director at 713.662.5894. If you would like to receive project updates via email, please email Administrative Coordinator Charlotte Herling at email@example.com.