East Side Street & Drainage Improvement Project
In 2019, the City authorized the completion of a City Wide Drainage Modeling Study that evaluated and modeled existing conditions of the City's drainage system. The results indicated that the majority of the City has limited drainage capacity, with some areas having less than 2-year capacity. These findings indicated a need to improve the city's streets and drainage system.
Scope of Work
The East Side improvements are broken down into two packages:
- Package One (1) includes paving and drainage upgrades along University Boulevard from Buffalo Speedway to Kirby Drive.
- Package Two (2) includes paving and drainage upgrades along Wakeforest Avenue from Plumb Street to Pemberton Street, Rice from Wakeforest to Kirby Dr., and Duke Street from Buffalo Speedway to Wakeforest.
- January 22 - Official Notice to Proceed Issued to HDR Engineering, Inc., to complete the Preliminary Engineering Report.
- February 2 - Kick-off meeting held with City Staff and HDR.
- May 17 - Draft PER Review
- June 28 - City Council Workshop to discuss PER
- September 20 - City Council Workshop to discuss additional PER updates.
- October 20 - PER Completed
- November 15 - City Council accepted final PER.
- December 12 - Design Contract awarded to HDR Engineering
- January 26 - Official "Kickoff" Meeting for design held with City Staff and HDR.
- March 28 - City Council Workshop to discuss traffic calming.
- July 25 - 75% Design update presented to City Council.
- August 29 - Public Townhall Meeting
- March 2023 - Tentative Project Construction Initiation of Package 1 (13-month duration)
- June 2023 - Estimated Package 2 Design completion
- August 2023 - Tentative Package 2 construction initiation (24-month duration)