The City of West University Place Parks and Recreation Department is committed to your safety. Below is our policy for closing Colonial Park Pool due to inclement weather.
- Lightning within 6 miles
- Heavy Rain (Lifeguards cannot see the bottom of the pool)
- Severe Weather
Closure Notification System
To assist our lifeguard team with detecting unsafe conditions a WeatherBug system has been installed. This system can identify lightning within 6 miles, per the established policy.
The alerts are immediate and provide real time notifications to the front desk staff. Additionally, a strobe was installed on the exterior of the building near the tennis courts, so guests in the pool and tennis areas also receive notification of a weather alert.
Once the detection has been made and the alerts are received, staff will begin clearing the pool. For safety reasons, all guests will need to move under a solid structure. Umbrellas and canopies are NOT a solid structure, and therefore are not safe. Staff will assist all guests in finding a suitable safe location.
Refunds will not be processed for inclement weather. However, if you have arrived at the pool and have checked in within 30 minutes of the closure, you will be given a rain-check that can be used during operational/public swim hours for the remainder of the current season. Please check with front desk staff to help with these accommodations.
Below is our policy for closing Colonial Park Pool due to contamination incidents.
In the event a fecal or vomit incident occurs in the pool, the pool will be closed per the Center for Disease Control and Model Aquatic Health Code standards.
The type of incident that occurs will determine the amount of time that is required for pool closure once the pool has been cleaned and treated properly. There are many variables that factor into the contamination treatment protocol and the total closure time.
Closure times can range from 45 minutes to 48 hours, depending on these variables.
Please do your part in minimizing closure incidents. Here are several ways that YOU can help keep the pool open and safe!
- Please shower thoroughly before swimming. One minute is all it takes to make a huge difference.
- Don't pee or poop in the water. Please use designated restrooms for these activities.
- Take children on hourly restroom breaks.
- If not 100% potty trained, please wear a swim diaper and a plastic reusable diaper over the swim diaper at all times. Reusable diapers can be purchased at the customer relations desk.
- If you or a family member has experienced diarrhea in the last two week, please do not swim for a minimum of two week AFTER all symptioms have cleared.
- If you have open sores or open wounds, please do not swim until these areas have healed.
- Do not swallow the water.
Rain Check Policy
If you, your family members and/or guests have checked in 30 minutes or less of an incident/closure occurring - please visit the staff at the Customer Relations Desk for a rain check. Rain checks are only valid in the current year.
Rental Refunds for Pool Closures
If a closure happens during your scheduled party, you will be eligible for a prorated refund if more than half of your rental time was negatively impacted. The prorated refund will be issued on a case by case basis.