The city provides curbside pickup of regular household garbage twice a week on either Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday. To learn which days are your regularly scheduled trash days, see the trash day schedule (PDF).
Collection times will be adjusted for holidays. To see these adjustments, please review our 2018 Holiday Collection Schedule (PDF).
Trash Collection Rules
- The City does not collect trash or yard waste placed in trash cans of any size or shape.
- All trash must be placed in bags not exceeding 40 pounds in weight.
- Garbage must be placed at the curb no sooner than 6 p.m. the night before and no later than 8 a.m. on your regular pickup day to guarantee collection.
- If the bags weigh more than 40 pounds or the items are placed curbside before or after the collection times, they are subject to a special collection fee.
- Curbside trash service is for typical household trash that is generated by the residents of that home. Construction debris and Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) will not collected.
Special Collection Fees
Residents may be assessed a special collection fee (minimum of $50) for:
- Bags placed curbside before 6 p.m. the night before your regular scheduled collection or later than 8:00 a.m. the day of collection.
- Bags exceeding the 40 pounds
In 2015, the city paid approximately $32 per ton to dispose of 6,785 tons of trash collected (1.28 tons of trash per household) by sending to the landfill at a cost of $219,200. This means that the average home in West U would fill a typical size living room from floor to ceiling every year with trash.
You can make a significant difference in your community by reducing your trash and recycling as much as possible. Approximately 80% of all trash is recyclable. For more information on ways to reduce your trash, check out our Solid Waste and Recycling FAQs.