Development Services

The purpose of the Development Services Division is to ensure that all structures are built to specific standards in order to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the general public and those utilizing the structure. The City of West University Place has adopted the 2018 International Family of Codes for this purpose.

When a Building Permit is Required

The best way to find out if you need a permit is to call your local building department. Discuss your plans with a building official before you begin construction to determine whether you need a permit. If a permit is not needed, the code official will answer your construction questions and may provide valuable advice.

A person, firm, or corporation shall not erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, install, convert, or demolish any building or structure (including fences and storage buildings) within the City of West University Place without first obtaining a permit (building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, storm-water, and/or floodplain development).

Plan Review Process

Specific elements of the plan review process include all features related to building, plumbing, and electrical and mechanical installations.
Building plans are reviewed for compliance with the adopted codes. Things such as the proposed occupancy of a building, access and exiting, structural integrity, energy and fire aspects of the proposed building are reviewed.

Hours of Business

The Development Services Department is located at the Public Works Building located at 3826 Amherst Street, Houston, TX 77005. The department is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Plan submittal, registration, and permits are not accepted after 5:00 p.m. Additional permit information is available by calling 713-662-5833 or by email

Local Amendments

Current Local Amendments (PDF) are available to view for additional information.